This congregation, originally Old Light Burgher, joined the Church of Scotland in 1839, when a quoad sacra parish was assigned to them. They adhered to the Free Church in 1843.
John Wright, 1843-1893
James Wallace, 1875-1878
George Milne, 1879-1885
John M’Alpine, 1885 — .
The minister of Alloa had taken the part of the non-Intrusionists, but he remained in the establishment in 1843. Those who “came out” and formed the Free Church congregation worshipped for a time in the Congregational church, until their own church was ready for occupation. The manse was erected in 1848. A new church was built in 1856.
John Adam, D.D., 1843-1849
John MacLeod, 1850-1870
George Elder, M.A., 1871-1873
J. M. Scott, 1873-1878
J. Wilson Harper, D.D., 1878 — .
Only a few adhered to the Free Church in Alva in 1843. Unsuccessful attempts were made to unite Alva with Tillicoultry. The charge was sanctioned in 1846. The church was built, and opened in March 1848; and soon afterwards the manse was erected. The population increased with the development of trade, but, later, again somewhat diminished.
T. W. Brown, 1848-1862
James Nicoll, M.A., 1863-1864
Andrew Melville, D.D., 1865-1869
William Forwell, 1870-1871
R. M’Intosh, D.D., 1872 — .
The minister and nearly all the congregation of the Church Extension charge here “came out” in 1843. The manse, which was private properly, was retained for the Free Church; but the church was taken by the Established Church in 1849. A new church was then erected, the tower being added later.
John Harper, M.A., 1843-1859
John Laidlaw, D.D., 1859-1863
W. E. Brown, M.A., 1864-1875
Samuel K. Niven, 1875-1896
William Trotter, 1897 — .
From 1843 services were held in this village, and regular mission work carried on. It was recognised as a station in 1860. The charge was sanctioned in 1877. Owing to the closing of the public works in the place, and consequent decline in membership, it was reduced to a preaching station in 1896.
T. Stewart, 1877-1878
R. Turnbull, 1879-1896.
This congregation was formed immediately after the Disruption by a few persons who adhered to the Free Church. A church was built in 1844, very largely by gratuitous labour. Leave to call a minister was granted in 1845. The manse was erected in 1862. Failure of the mining industry brought a decrease of population.
John Macmillan, 1845-1854
James Drummond, 1854-1898
W. M. Ure, 1894 — .
John Dempster, minister of the parish, and many of his congregation, “came out” in 1843. They worshipped in a malt barn until their church was opened in December following. In 1850, owing to the weakness of the congregation, it was united with Dunipace, under a probationer. In 1854 it was restored to its original status. The manse was erected in 1856. A church hall was erected in 1870.
John Dempster, 1843-1855
James Maxwell, 1843-1848
James Cowie, 1854-1890
P. C. Durward, M.A., 1890 — .
Only a few in Dollar adhered to the Free Church in 1843. James Thomson, minister of Muckhart, and many of his people, “came out.” They built a church at Shelterhall, between the two places. The Original Secession congregation at Dollar, in 1852, united with the Free Church, and a probationer was put in charge. Several Shelterhall members joined the congregation, which in 1856 obtained an ordained minister. The congregation at Shelterhall was discontinued in 1864, when the minister retired, most of the members having joined the Dollar congregation.
(Shelterhall) James Thomson, 1843-1864 [Vol.1 says he retired 1863.]
(Dollar) E. B. Hill, 1856-1863
G. H. Knight, 1863-1878
Robert Paul, 1879 — .
The minister of Larbert and Dunipace “came out” in 1843, and at once formed a congregation at Dunipace. Worship was conducted in a barn until the church, begun in August 1843, was ready for occupation. School was held in the church for two years. The school was erected in 1845, and the manse in 1847. A new church was built in 1880. A print work in earlier days, and, later, mining, foundry, and paper works, furnished the chief occupations.
Thomas Roberton, 1843-1893 [Vol.1 says 1898.]
D. C. Macnicol, B.D., 1886-1895
W. D. Miller, M.A., 1895 — .
This congregation was formed at the Disruption, the minister and some of his people adhering to the Free Church. After Mr. Sawers’ removal it was reduced to a station in 1874.
Peter Sawers, 1843-1873.
Dr. John Bonar, minister of Larbert and Dunipace, with a large congregation, “came out” in 1843. The new church, with burying-ground around it, was erected at Stenhousemuir, as being more central for the population. Dr. Bonar also initiated the new charge at Dunipace.
John Bonar, D.D., 1843-1846
Finlay Macpherson, 1848-1893 [Vol.1 says he resigned in 1891 and died in 1893.]
P. G. Balfour, M.A., 1891-1895
A. N. Bogle, M.A., 1896 — .
The minister of St. Ninians, and a considerable congregation, “came out” in 1843. They worshipped in the open air until their church was opened in September of that year. The manse was purchased in 1847. A new church was erected in 1885. Emigration and the failure of the nail industry tended to reduce the population.
Christopher Greig, 1843-1844
R. M’Corkle, M.A., 1844-1883
Colin Mackenzie, 1883 — .
This congregation, originally Reformed Presbyterian, joined the Free Church in 1876. The church was built in 1783. The manse was erected in 1843, but afterwards sold for £400, and the sum invested in property in Glasgow.
D. D. Ormond, 1876 — .
Dr. Beith, minister of the North Church, and a large congregation, “came out” in 1843. They worshipped for a time in the Corn Exchange. The church was built in 1843-44. A new church was erected in 1853. A manse was subsequently purchased.
Alexander Beith, D.D., 1843-1891
John Chalmers, M.A., 1877 — .
The minister of the third charge of Stirling practically “came out” before the Disruption. He formed his congregation in Spittal Square Church, which had been bought from the Old Light body. A manse was purchased in 1889. This house was sold, and one more suitable acquired in 1898.
Alexander Leitch, 1843-1868
W. F. Goldie, 1868 —
John Arnott, M.A., 1898 — .
This congregation was first formed in the “ Mary Kirk.” When deprived of that building they united with the Cowane Street Mission of the North Church, and worshipped in an iron church in that street. After this church was burned in 1880, a new church was erected.
Charles Wedderburn, 1873-1879
Andrew Mackay, 1879-1883
James Angus, 1883 — .
The congregation here dates from the Disruption, and was formed of the local adherents of the Church of Scotland in Alloa, who worshipped in an ancient church, recently roofed over, and granted during the pleasure of the heritor, Lord Abercromby. This church is figured in Sir George Harvey’s picture, “Quitting the Manse.” A new church was built in 1844, and a manse in 1847. Mr. Stevenson’s ordination was the first in the parish of Tullibody, there having been no separate charge there from the Reformation to the Disruption.
George Stevenson, 1843-1856
W. F. Goldie, 1857-1868
John Girvan, 1869-1875
A. Thom, M.A., 1875 — .
Services were provided at Airth soon after the Disruption. In 1847 it was recognised as a mission station by the Home Mission Committee, and a catechist appointed. It continued, with many fluctuations, till the Union of 1900. The population decreased considerably, single large farms taking the place of several smaller ones.
Immediately after the Disruption services were provided at Lochearnhead for adherents of the Free Church. In February 1844 part of Comrie parish was added to Balquhidder parish, as the district to be served from this centre, and a probationer was appointed to take charge. In 1845 the charge was sanctioned. The church was erected in 1844, and the manse about 1847.
1848, 110, 1900, 100.
E. J. Findlater, 1846-1886
It appears that none “came out “of Logie Parish Church in 1843. A few who worshipped in Stirling, North, and some members of Blairlogie Secession Church met in Bridge of Allan, then only a hamlet, after the Disruption. The charge was sanctioned in 1843. They worshipped in a joiner’s shop till, in 1845, a church was erected and ready for use. A new church was built about 1855—Deacons’ Court records 1855-1864 are lost. Church halls were added in 1890, and extensive alterations and repairs were carried out in 1897. The growth of the village from 1850 to 1880, as a popular health resort, brought increase to the congregation.
J. Ferguson, 1844-1881 [Vol.1 says he retired 1865.]
William Ross, LL. D., 1865-1895
James Miller, 1887 — .
William Watt, minister of the Church Extension charge here, and the greater part of the congregation, “came out” in 1843, and were deprived of their church. The minister was translated immediately after the Disruption, and four years elapsed before his successor was settled. An iron church was opened in 1876, and about the same year the manse was erected. The congregation was greatly indebted to Gilbert Beith, who for a time resided in Ballochneck House. A union was effected with the United Presbyterian congregation in 1899. The iron church was sold, and the manse, ceasing to be used as such, reverted to the superior.
W. Watt, 1843
A. W. Morris, 1847-1878
George Rose, 1876 — [Vol.1 says he resigned in 1899.]
G. W. S. Cowie, 1900 — .
The minister of Callander, who was understood to sympathise with the Evangelical party, resigned his charge immediately after the Disruption. A considerable majority of the congregation “came out,” and, guided by Dr. Beith of Stirling, formed the Callander Free Church. They worshipped for a time in the Independent Chapel, or in the open air. The church was built in 1843-44, and the manse a little later. A school was opened in 1843, and a large school building erected in 1849. It was maintained until the passing of the Education Act. Until 1857 Callander was an English-Gaelic charge. The church was rebuilt on the same site in 1860, and a new manse was erected in 1869. A United Presbyterian congregation was formed in 1893. A generous benefactor of the congregation was Donald M’Laren of Dullator.
Duncan MacLean, 1844-1858
Andrew Bogle, 1857-1900 [Vol.1 says he retired 1892.]
H. A. A. Kennedy, D.Sc., D.D., 1893 — .
William Mackenzie, minister of the Cathedral Church, with eight out of nine elders, “came out” in 1843. Church and school were built that year, and the manse in 1845. A new church was erected in 1854, and a new manse in 1868. The old buildings were sold in 1874.
W. Mackenzie, 1843-1844
J. D. Burns, M.A., 1845-1848
H. M. Williamson, D.D., 1850-1855
Alexander Paterson, M.A., 1855-1867
David Tasker, M.A., 1868-1873
J. S. Bowie, B.D., 1874-1887
Henry Norwell, M.A., 1888-1892
Hugh Stevenson, M.A., 1893 — .
David Black, minister of the quoad sacra parish here, and the great majority of the congregation, “came out” in 1843. A year later they were deprived of their church. They worshipped in the Free Church school, which had then been built, or in the open air at Gartmore Lodge, until their church was opened in 1848. The minister was allowed to occupy the manse till 1848. The new manse was erected in 1859. The church was renovated in 1892, and a hall was built in 1893. For a time after the Disruption, a Gaelic catechist was maintained at Aberfoyle.
David Black, 1843-1848 [Under Tillicoultry it says he was translated there 1847. But Vol.1 agrees with this entry.]
Alexander Clerihew, 1848-1863
Malcolm M’Lean, 1864 — .
Immediately after the Disruption a strong Free Church congregation was formed here, and a speedy settlement of a minister effected. The church was erected forthwith. The manse—afterwards considerably enlarged—was built in 1851 on a site granted by the Earl of Moray. A new church was built in 1868, the old one being sold. A church hall was added in 1900. This congregation represented the Parish Church of Kilmadock.
A congregation of the Burgher Synod in Doune, which joined the Church of Scotland in 1839, also “came out” in 1843, and maintained a separate existence till the retiral of the minister in 1871, when it was discontinued, the members and adherents joining the Kilmadock congregation.
Membership (Doune Congregation).
Thomas Hislop, 1843-1871.
George Cupples, 1843-1850
Donald Fergusson, 1850-1865
John A. Anderson, 1866-1884
G. S. Mackay, M.A., 1883 — .
William Anderson, minister of Kippen, and many of his people, “came out” in 1843. They encountered much opposition. During the summer they met for worship either in the open air or in a barn. The church was erected in 1843-44.
W. Anderson, 1843-1845
P. T. Muirhead, 1846-1888
H. W. Hunter, M.A., 1888 — .
Services were provided at Norrieston immediately after the Disruption. The congregation was organised and a minister settled in September 1843. The new church was completed in August 1844, and the manse in 1848.
William Watt, 1843-1897
George Williams, 1879 — .
Henry Anderson, minister of the parish, “came out” in 1843, with a portion of his congregation. They worshipped first in a hall connected with J. D. Paton’s mill, and then in the Secession church, until, in June 1844, the Free church was opened. Transepts were added to the church in 1860, and a hall was built in 1876. Mr. Anderson built and occupied a house in Stirling Street. The first manse was at the corner of Stirling Street and High Street. A new manse was erected in 1889.
Henry Anderson, 1843-1845
David Black, 1847-1878 [Vol.1 says he was translated in 1848 – and so it is under Gartmore, see above – and retired in 1874.]
James Brown, M.A., 1874-1880
W. J. Miller, M.A., 1880-1890
A. W. Calder, M.A., 1890 — .
This congregation was formed at the Disruption. The church was erected in the village of Bankfoot in 1844. It was renovated and reseated in 1885, the eastern portion being converted into halls. The membership declined with decrease of the population.
John A. Cook, 1844-1893
G. P. Macdougall, 1884 — .
The parish of Blair Atholl was vacant at the Disruption. The son of the late minister, who was acting as supply, “came out.” His services were continued to the Free Church congregation, who asked that he should be settled as their minister. Owing to trouble with a minority, his settlement was delayed for a year. In no district did the Free Church encounter more determined and bitter opposition. Tenants were willing that a preaching tent should be pitched in their ground, but the proprietors interdicted it, and worship had to be held in the open air. In February 1844 a wooden structure was erected on an island in the river belonging to another parish. When the river was in flood, the church was surrounded, and access across the ground of another proprietor was forbidden. A site was finally obtained in 1855. Similar difficulties were met in the Struan district. Until 1878 the congregation was sheltered only by the kindness of an innkeeper, and of a neighbouring farmer. The station of Struan was, in 1881, united with the charge of Blair Atholl.
Athole Stuart, 1844-1894
Alexander Bain, 1882-1892
Alexander Matheson, 1892-1898 [Vol.1 doesn’t have him here until 1898.]
John Simpson, M.A., 1899 — .
This congregation, originally Burgher, joined the Church of Scotland in 1839, and “came out” in 1843. The church in Burrelton stood in the schoolhouse garden. The manse subsequently became the schoolhouse. After Mr. Waddell was removed in 1845 the congregation was without a settled minister till 1853. A new church was erected in 1854.
John Waddell, 1843-1845
A. S. Robertson, 1853-1889
D. W. Mackay, 1887 — .
The minister of the parish and many of the people “came out “ in 1843. No site could be obtained in Cargill. The church was, therefore, built in 1845 at Wolfhill, in St. Martin’s parish, from which a considerable number of members and adherents were drawn. In 1852 the manse was erected. The building of a church at Burrelton, and depletion of the population, tended to reduce the membership.
Michael Stirling, 1843-1865
J. B. Irvine, 1854-1856
Alexander Yule, 1857-1867
George C. Baxter, 1869 — .
George Millar, minister of Clunie, “came out” in 1843. An unsuccessful attempt was made to unite Clunie and Lethendy in one charge. Church, manse, school, and teacher’s house were erected. Subsequently school and teacher’s house became hall and caretaker’s dwelling. Territorial and county influence was hostile to the Free Church. Decline of the rural population acted adversely on the congregation.
George Millar, 1843-1869 [Vol.1 says he retired 1856.]
G. D. Low, M.A., 1867-1873
R. MacLeod, 1873-1879
Charles Keith, 1880 — .
Immediately after the Disruption supply was provided for this district, and the church at Dalguise was erected forthwith. In 1844 the church at Strathbraan was built. In 1845 Dalguise and Strathbraan were sanctioned as a united charge. A school, erected at Strathbraan, was handed over to the School Board in 1872.
Cosmo Macpherson, 1845-1869
A. C. Sutherland, 1870-1885
John Macainsh, B.D., 1885 — .
The minister of the parish and one elder “came out” in 1843. For some time the congregation worshipped under the old trees by the riverside at Birnam. The church was built in 1843 on a fifteen years’ feu. The feu was afterwards purchased and presented to the congregation by Lord Dalhousie. The manse was built in 1850. A new church was erected in 1874. A gallery was put in later. Situated in the midst of a decaying population, the membership necessarily declined.
John Mackenzie, 1843-1844
R. Williamson, D.D., LL. D., 1844-1853
D. Macpherson, 1854-1897
J. W. Hamilton, M.A.. 1888 — .
Andrew Kessen, minister of the parish, and six elders, “came out” in 1843. Church and manse were erected in 1843-44. The names of Lethendy and Andrew Kessen were well known in Scotland during the “Ten Years’ Conflict.” It was over Mr. Kessen’s induction in place of an unacceptable crown presentee, named Clark, that the first non-intrusion battle was fought.
Andrew Kessen, 1843-1856 [Vol.1 says he died 1859.]
Alexander Gordon, M.A., 1866 — .
This congregation was formed at the Disruption. The minister and congregation of the neighbouring quoad sacra church of Tenandry “came out” in 1843. In July of that year they were deprived of their church. The minister was called and settled at Moulin, and the congregation at Tenandry, after receiving occasional supply for a time, was, in 1848, merged in that of Moulin. A feu was refused at Pitlochry, so church and manse were erected at Kinnaird, near the parish church. Owing to the growth of Pitlochry as a summer resort, it was found necessary to build a new church and manse there in 1863.
1848, 355 (including adherents);
William Grant, D.D., 1844-1847
John Stewart, 1849-1882
C. G. Mackay, 1883 — .
PITLOCHRY See MOULIN.
An association to advance the interests of the Free Presbyterian Church, formed here in 1842, had made preparations for the Disruption, and a Free Church congregation was formed forthwith. The foundation-stone of the new church was laid by the Marquis of Breadalbane, assisted by the Rt. Hon. Fox Maule, in November 1843. The manse, a gift from the Marquis, was built in 1848. Halls were erected in 1887. The opening of an Established church in 1883 somewhat retarded the progress of the congregation, which at the beginning had served a very wide area. Great blessing was enjoyed in a revival movement in 1861.
D. R. Clarke, 1843-1883
John MacRae, M.A., 1884 — .
The ordained missionary of the Society for Promoting Christian Knowledge, who was in charge at Ardeonaig, and a large part of the congregation, “came out” in 1843. The church had been erected in 1821. By the influence of Lord Breadalbane it was secured for the congregation. His lordship was also responsible for the renovations carried out in 1883. The manse, also of old standing, was reconstructed in 1877.
D. Mackenzie, 1843-1873
J. M’CalIum, 1874 — .
From 1843 a station was maintained here under charge of the minister of Kenmore. A church was built, mainly by the proprietor, Stewart Menzies of Chesthill, soon after the Disruption. In 1858 a considerable addition was made to the membership through a secession from the Established church, owing to the forced settlement of a minister. In that year a probationer was appointed, and regular services provided. The charge was sanctioned in 1860. The manse was built in 1863. A new church was erected in 1864, the old building then reverting to the proprietor.
D. M. Connell, 1862-1879
W. H. Tulloch, 1889 — .
The quoad sacra church here was vacant at the Disruption, but all the office-bearers and the great body of the people “came out.” After communion held in July 1843, fortnightly services were provided. The first church was a dry-stone barn, converted into a place of worship by the people’s own hands. It was at Balnacraig, on Lord Breadalbane’s property, the other proprietors being hostile. In it the Laird of Chesthill came to hear the Apostle of the North, and from being bitterly hostile he became an ardent friend. He granted a site at Cambus Vrachan, where church and manse were built in 1848. The population greatly decreased, crofts being displaced by sheep farms, and these again by deer forests.
Angus Brown, 1847-1866 [Vol.1 says he was translated in 1867.]
M. Macaskill, 1868-1873
John Mackay, M.A., 1874-1875
John M’Coll, M.A., 1876 — .
This congregation was fully organised at the Disruption. The Evangelical movement was largely fostered by the Marquis of Breadalbane, who for three years arranged services and brought ministers. He materially assisted in the erection of church and manse in 1846. The Marquis and Marchioness of Breadalbane were both members of the congregation, the Marquis being an acting elder. Owing to rural depopulation, the size of the congregation decreased.
Allan Sinclair, M.A., 1846-1888
James M’Millan, M.A., 1888 — .
The minister of the parish “came out” in 1843, and, before the manse was built, by the kindness of the Marquis of Breadalbane was accommodated in the old mansion of Finlarig. The church was erected in 1845, and the manse soon after. The hall was opened in 1897. The church suffered through the depopulation of the district.
Alexander Stewart, M.A., 1843-1883
W. J. Macdonald, M.A., 1881-1887
The minister and practically the whole congregation here “came out” in 1843. Through the kindness of the Marquis of Breadalbane, the congregation retained the church, which had been built about 1833-34. The membership gradually declined, through reduction of the population.
John Logan, 1843-1854
David Campbell, 1855-1877
Murdoch Morrison, 1878-1888
Allan Mackenzie, 1889 — .
LOGIERAIT See STRATHTAY.
From July 1843 occasional services were provided here. The district included part of Logierait and the Grandtully portion of Dull, on opposite sides of the Tay. Worship was conducted at first in the open air in summer, and in a barn in winter. A church was built on the north side of the river, where the majority of the people were. A school was erected on the south side, in which services could be held. The charge was sanctioned in 1844. The congregation grew smaller with a decreasing population.
John Tulloch, M.A., 1845-1856
D. R. C. Maclagan, 1875 — .
At Tummel Bridge a congregation was formed immediately after the Disruption. In September 1843 occasional supply was arranged for Rannoch. Both places were attracting numbers of summer visitors. The charge was sanctioned in 1844. That year the church was built at Tummel Bridge, and the manse in 1848. The meeting-house at Rannoch was built in 1847. A church was erected there in 1856.
Alexander M’Innes, 1845-1866
Murdoch Corbett, 1868-1894
Hugh M’Callum, 1895 — .
This congregation has existed from the Disruption on the footing of a preaching station, under charge of the minister of Kenmore. Church and school were provided. The Highland Committee were for many years responsible for supply, the income from an endowment left by Duncan Maclaren of Braehead, Struan, Glenquaich, amounting to about £30 a year, going to that committee. On the passing of the Education Act the school building reverted to Lord Breadalbane.
Crianlarich was originally connected with the congregation of Strathfillan. With the coming of the Highland Railway it was formed into a preaching station, disjoined from the Presbytery of Lorn, and attached to that of Breadalbane. A composite church was erected.
Those adhering to the Free Church in Abernethy met, the Sabbath after the Disruption, in Drumhead barn for worship. The congregation was at once organised. The church was built in 1843, and the manse in 1851.
James Simpson, M.A., 1844-1856
Robert Stevenson, 1856 — .
This congregation was formed by the local Free Church adherents immediately after the Disruption, services being arranged for by the Presbytery of Perth. The church was built in Glenfarg in 1844, and the manse in 1850. Some, who formerly worshipped at Milnathort, joined the congregation here. For some time the population declined; but the coming of the railway and the growth of Glenfarg as a summer resort improved matters again.
John Young, 1847-1891
James W. Jack, M.A., 1891 — .
Dr. Andrew A. Bonar, minister of the parish, “came out” at the Disruption. The principal proprietor was friendly, and at once granted a site. The church was erected in 1843, and the manse in 1848. School and teacher’s house were also erected, and came later to be used as a church hall. The decay of handloom weaving and the disappearance of small holdings caused a marked decline of the population.
A. A. Bonar, D.D., 1843-1856 [Under Finnieston, it says he was translated there in 1858, but Vol.1 says it was 1856.]
James Reid, 1857 — .
The minister of Dunbarney and two elders “came out” in 1843, with many of the people. They met for worship for some months in a coal shed. There was much unwillingness to grant a site. A feu was, however, secured in the village, and church and school were erected in 1843. The manse was built in 1847. The parish was then a popular health resort, many people coming to drink the waters at the famous Pitkeathly Mineral Well. The well gradually lost its attractions, greatly to the disadvantage of the district. The congregation profited by the revival in 1860.
Alex. Cumming, 1843-1853
Robert Philip, M.A., 1853-1858 [Vol.1 and under Edinburgh M’Crie says he was translated in 1857.]
J. H. Wells, 1858 — .
Dr. James Grierson, minister of the parish, “came out” in 1843 along with many of his people. They worshipped in the Relief church for a few months, until their own church was ready for occupation. The congregation suffered seriously through rural depopulation.
James Grierson, D.D., 1843-1875
Arch. Campbell, M.A., 1871 — .
The minister of the parish, and about two-thirds of his congregation, “came out” in 1843. There was much opposition to the Free Church. The minister found a room to shelter him in summer, but had to leave the parish for the winter. Church and manse were built on a feu terminable at the death of a liferenter. A new church and manse were erected on another site in 1885. The decrease of population accounts for the shrinking of the congregation.
James Drummond, 1843-1885 [Vol.1 says he was appointed to take over in Gibraltar in 1854.]
James Halliday, M.A., 1876-1880
R. H. Telford, 1880-1881 [He is W. H. Telford elsewhere.]
John Creighton, 1882 — .
The minister of the parish “came out” in 1843, and a congregation of the Free Church was formed. Through the liberality of Mr. Craigie of Glendoick, the new church was built in 1843, in the village of Glendoick, which lies within the parish of Errol. The manse was erected in 1849. The church was renovated in 1898. The district is wholly agricultural, and the population decreased considerably.
James M’Lagan, D.D., 1843-1845
B. F. Greig, 1846-1887
M. D. Macgilvray, M.A., 1886-1891 [In Vol.1 his surname is MacGilivray.]
D. Fairweather, M.A., 1891-1895
A. Gibson, B.D., 1896 — .
The minister, and practically all the congregation of the quoad sacra church at Chapelhill, “came out” in 1843. With the consent of the proprietor they continued to use the church. The estate, however, changed hands, and at Mr. Watson’s translation in 1853, the new proprietor required them to leave the church. A new church and manse were erected at the village of Harrietfield in 1854.
Hiram Watson, 1843-1853
Wm. Maxwell, 1854-1863
J. S. Candlish, D.D., 1863-1869
W. A. Gray, 1869-1874
John Watson, D.D., 1875-1877
George Steven, D.D., 1877-1885
D. M. Tod, B.D., 1885 — .
The Free Church congregation was organised here some weeks after the Disruption, and had to face the opposition of the minister of the parish, the laird, and the teacher. After much difficulty a site was secured, not on one of the large estates, but from a small village proprietor; and here church and manse were erected.
John MacLeish, 1845-1888 [Vol.1 says he was settled 1854.]
David Bisset, M.A., 1883-1892
George Muir, 1895 — .
This congregation, originally Old Light, joined the Church of Scotland in 1839, and “came out,” with their minister, in 1843. When Mr. Walker retired in 1870 the congregation was discontinued, the members joining other churches.
1848, 139; 1870, 66.
John Y. Walker, 1843-1870.
A mission was begun in 1855 in the Meal Vennel, and supported by members of the various Free churches in Perth. A site was secured in 1856, and a church built and opened in 1857. This year the charge was sanctioned. The congregation was composed entirely of working people. Great benefit was derived from the revival of 1859-61.
Walter Davidson, 1857-1873
John Buchan, 1874-1875
John Rainnie, M.A., 1876 — .
The minister of the Middle Parish Church, and the majority of his congregation, “came out” at the Disruption. They worshipped in the old Wesleyan Chapel, South Street, until their own church was opened in October 1843. The manse was purchased in 1866. A new church was erected in North Tay Street in 1887.
W. A. Thomson, D.D., 1843-1863
Thomas Dymock, M.A., 1845-1888 [Under Carnoustie, it is said that he was translated from here in 1844.]
D. Watts Kennedy, 1881 — .
John Milne, minister of St. Leonard’s Church Extension charge, the most of his office-bearers, and the bulk of his people, “came out” at the Disruption. They worshipped in the North Secession Church, the church afterwards known as the Wilson Church, and the Original Secession Church, until their own church was ready for occupation in October 1843. School buildings and a manse were also provided. A new church, with halls, etc., was erected in Marshall Place in 1885. The manse was sold and the proceeds invested, the interest going towards house-rent for the minister.
John Milne, M.A., 1839-1853 [His Free Church ministry began in 1843.]
J. Z. Huie, 1853-1857
John Milne, M.A., second pastorate, 1858-1868
Robert Cowan, 1859-1878
D. Douglas Bannermann, D.D., 1879 — .
This congregation was begun in 1879, as the New Row Mission, in the church vacated by St. Stephen’s congregation. The charge was sanctioned in 1881. A manse was secured at Barossa Place. The building of a new church on the old site was begun in 1900. The congregation, situated in a densely populated district, was strong in aggressive work.
John Symon, 1881-1896
D. E. Omand, 1896 — .
The minister, and almost the entire congregation of the Gaelic church, “came out” in 1843. After a few weeks they were deprived of the church, and met for worship first in the Guild Hall and then in a church in Kinnoul Street, which later became part of Messrs. Pullar’s works. The church in New Row was erected in 1846, and the manse in 1852. A new church was built in 1878, the old church passing to St Paul’s congregation. The name was changed to St. Stephen’s in 1886, when the Gaelic service was discontinued. From that date the membership steadily increased. A new manse was erected in 1896.
Charles Stewart, 1843-1844 [Vol.1 says he was translated 1843.]
Peter Grant, 1844-1847
William Grant, D.D., 1847-1852
Alex. Paterson, M.A., 1853-1855
John Tulloch, M.A., 1856-1894
Hugh Ross, 1884-1888
William Ewing, M.A., 1890-1898
Alex. Isdale, B.D., 1899 — .
The minister of the West Church, and the great majority of the congregation, “came out” in 1843. They worshipped in the Independent Chapel until their own church in Glover’s Yard was ready for occupation. A manse was secured in Atholl Place. A new church, with halls, etc., was erected in Tay Street in 1871. Miss Duncan bequeathed to the congregation a villa, with grounds, in Kinnoul Terrace, which became the manse.
Andrew Gray, M.A., 1843-1861
Gilbert Stewart, 1861-1863
John Laidlaw, D.D., 1863-1872
James Gibson, D.D., 1873 —
P. A. G. Clark, 1893 — .
The parish minister of Moneydie, and most of his congregation, “came out” in 1843. They were joined by Free Church adherents from the parishes of Redgorton, Tibbermore, and Methven. A church was built in the hamlet of Pitcairngreen in 1844. A new church was erected in 1893. The congregation was largely influenced by the revivals of 1859-61, 1874, and 1886-87.
J. W. Thomson, 1843-1864
James Beattie, 1865-1875 [Vol.1 says he was translated in 1876.]
J. J. Glen Kippen, 1876 — .
At the Disruption a congregation of the Free Church was formed here. They worshipped at first in Pictstonhill barn, then in a cottage belonging to Mr. Goodsman, the congregational treasurer. The church and school were built in 1844 on a site obtained from a small proprietor in the village. Building materials in the neighbourhood were refused. Stones were got from a distant quarry. James Stewart of Pictstonhill gave the sand, and lent his men and horses to do the carting. Among the lads who assisted in this work was his son, then a boy in his “teens,” who afterwards became the honoured Dr. James Stewart of Lovedale. Many others helped, some working with their own hands. The manse was built in 1848. A new church, the gift of Miss Margaret Goodsman, was erected in 1887.
D. Fraser, M.A., 1844-1847 [Under Lerwick – St. Olaf and in Vol.1 it says that he left here in 1846.]
C. C. Stewart, 1847-1876
A. K. Macmurchy, M.A., 1873 — .
The minister, kirk session, and many members of the quoad sacra church at Stanley, “came out” in 1843. They were at once deprived of the church, and worshipped in a large stable until their own building was ready. Church and manse were soon erected. A school also was provided, which was transferred to the School Board in 1874. The cotton-spinning mill here, and the bleachfield at Luncarty, about2½miles distant, afforded the chief employment of the people.
William Mather, M.A., 1843-1877
J. F. Thomson, M.A., 1870 — .