Shortly after the Disruption a church was built for the purpose of accommodating the adherents of the Free Church in the parishes of Daviot and Dores. A minister was settled in Daviot in August 1844, who undertook to give occasional services at Moy. A new church was built in 1859.
Archibald Cook, 1844-1865
John M’Queen, 1867-1891
Roderick Finlayson, 1894 — .
Almost the whole population of Dores adhered to the Free Church in 1843. The charge was sanctioned by the Assembly in 1845, and a minister was settled in 1847. About 1845 a church and manse were built at Aldourie, near the village of Dores. A second church was erected about 1846, at Lochend, 5½ miles from Inverness. The congregation came from two parishes—Dores, on the south side of the Caledonian Valley, and Bona, on the north side of the water. This natural barrier prevented proper amalgamation, as those on each side kept to their own church.
Allan Macpherson, 1847-1886
Alexander Mackay, 1887-1892
John Fraser, 1893 — .
This charge was instituted to meet the necessities of the upper district of the town of Inverness. A hall was erected and services begun in 1896. The charge was sanctioned by the Assembly in 1898, and a minister was settled in 1899.
William Todd, M.A., 1899 — .
The minister and office-bearers of the East quoad sacra church, with the entire congregation, members and adherents, “came out” in 1843. They retained the property. The church was altered in 1852, and rebuilt in 1897. The manse, which had become old and unsuitable, was sold, and a house was rented for the minister. For long the East Church was the centre and rallying-point for evangelistic work in the Highlands.
David Sutherland, M.A., 1843-1875
John M’Tavish, D.D., 1877-1897
Allan Cameron, M.A., 1892 — .
At the Disruption a number of adherents of the Free Church formed themselves into a congregation, known for a time as the English, and afterwards as the High, congregation. Services were held at first in the Wesleyan Methodist church, and later in Bell’s School and grounds. The church was built on the east side of the Ness, and opened in December 1843. A new church was erected in 1852. The manse was built in 1863. Mr. Gavin Tait, a young man in 1843, ordained an elder in 1854, was still alive in 1900, having been session clerk for nearly fifty years.
Joseph Thorburn, 1844-1854
William Traill, 1855-1858
Donald Fraser, D.D., 1859-1870
J. J. Black, LL. D., 1872 — .
Archibald Cook, minister of the North quoad sacra church, with his congregation, adhered to the Free Church in 1843, and retained possession of their buildings. Some years later a new church was built. This became the principal Gaelic congregation in the town.
Archibald Cook, 1843-1844
George Mackay, D.D.. 1845-1886
Murdo Mackenzie, 1887 — .
Originally a United Presbyterian Gaelic charge, this congregation was admitted to the Free Church in 1873. They had found it difficult to obtain Gaelic supply, and were aggrieved by recent legislation as to instrumental music. The church in Huntly Street, facing the river Ness, is the third to bear the name. The first stood in Queen Street; the second in King Street.
A. C. Macdonald, D.D., 1874 — .
The charge was begun by the High Church as a Territorial mission, on the west side of the Ness. Steps were taken for the building of a church in 1863. The charge was sanctioned by the Assembly in 1866.
1869, 1000 (including adherents);
Angus Brown, 1866-1868 [Vol.1 says he was translated here in 1867.]
Alexander Bannatyne, M.A., 1869-1871
Duncan Colvin, 1872-1880
Donald Connell, M. A., 1880 — .
The people in this parish, with few exceptions, adhered to the Free Church in 1843. As no site for buildings could be secured, the parish was temporarily put in charge of Mr. Fraser of Kirkhill. A minister was settled in September 1843. A site having been obtained, the church and manse were completed in 1846. In 1900, more than half the adherents, two elders, and twenty-four communicants refused to enter the Union.
John Fraser, 1843-1877
Hector Mackenzie, 1880 — .
Alexander Fraser, who had succeeded his father and grandfather as minister of the parish, “came out” with practically all his people in 1843. In prospect of the Disruption a site had been secured, and on this a wooden church was erected for immediate use. It sufficed for the English service; but the Gaelic service had to be held in the open air, so great were the numbers attending. A substantial church and manse were built without delay.
Alexander Fraser, 1843-1883
Colin Sinclair, 1885-1897
Allan Munn, 1898 — .
Thomas MacLauchlan, minister of the parish, “came out” in 1843. On the first Sabbath after the Disruption Assembly the people met in a wood, and “every man of any consequence in the parish” was present. After the removal of the minister in 1844, the minister of Daviot preached occasionally in Moy. This arrangement continued, except during short periods when the Highland Committee provided a probationer, until a minister was settled in 1862.
1900, about 300.
Thomas MacLauchlan, LL. D., 1843-1844
John Baillie, 1862-1875
D. Macfarlane, 1879-1888
Angus Mackenzie, 1891-1896
Donald Maclean, 1897 — .
John Campbell, minister of Petty, adhered to the Free Church in 1843, but left shortly after the Disruption. After many difficulties a site was secured, and church and manse were built in 1848. A minister was settled in 1851. A church hall was added in 1897; and in 1898 a mission hall was erected at Loch and Flemington.
John Grant, 1843
Adam Campbell, M.A., 1851-1894
Donald Campbell, 1895 — .
Practically all the people here joined the Free Church in 1843. A minister was settled in 1844. The same year the church was erected. It was rebuilt in 1871. The manse was built in 1846. During the ministry of John M’Lean the “Donald Duff Secession” took place. A number of people followed Mr. Duff, and erected a place of meeting for themselves. Under G. G. S. MacLeod the division was healed; but at the passing of the Declaratory Act in 1893, the Duff party and their descendants again seceded.
Thomas MacLauchlan, LL. D., 1844-1849
Alexander Cook, M.A., 1850-1861 [Vol.1 says he died 1862.]
John M’Lean, 1863-1877
G. G. S. MacLeod, 1880 — .
Patrick Tulloch, minister of Strathglass, “came out” in 1843. Those adhering to the Free Church were few, and when Mr. Tulloch was translated in 1844 a missionary was put in charge. In 1853 a church and manse were built at Fasnakyle. A mission church was built at Mauld Bridge, near Struy, in 1854. The Assembly sanctioned the charge in 1878, and a minister was settled in 1880. Mr. Colin Fraser had laboured in the district as missionary for twenty-six years. In 1897 a new church was erected at Struy in place of that at Mauld, the site of which was inconvenient, and quite inaccessible in time of winter floods.
1880, 110 (including adherents);
Patrick Tulloch, 1843-1844
C. C. MacKenzie, F.R.G.S., 1880 — .
Services were provided for adherents of the Free Church from the Disruption till August 1844, when a minister was settled. A church and manse were built. The congregation decreased owing to rapid depopulation of the district.
Henry M’Leod, 1844-1876
Alexander M’Donald, 1872 — .
John Matheson, minister of the parish, “came out” in 1843. Sites for church and manse were obtained at a high price. The manse was built in 1846 at heavy cost, the stones having to be brought ten miles by sea, and then carted to the site. Worship was conducted in a temporary structure until the church was built in 1856.
John Matheson, 1843-1848
Donald Cameron, 1849-1853
Alexander Cameron, 1854-1886
D. M. M’Leod, 1888 — .
William Barclay, minister of Auldearn, “came out” in 1843, with most of his congregation. A church was built on a site gifted by John Clark Brodie of Lethen, and opened in December 1843. The original church was “three-roofed.” In 1863 it was altered and put under one roof. It was again renovated in 1893. The manse was built in 1843. A mission hall was added in 1891.
William Barclay, M.A., 1843-1857
W. G. Forrester, 1858-1886
John M’Neill, 1885 — .
Simon Fraser M’Lauchlan, minister of Cawdor, and the main body of his people, “came out” in 1843. During the winter of 1843-44, no shelter being available, the congregation worshipped in the open air. The minister had to be content with accommodation of the most wretched description. Not till 1847 was a site secured for a manse. A wooden church was erected at Newton of Budgate. The conditions on which this was permitted were read at the Glasgow Assembly, October 1843; and are printed in the Life of Dr. Robert Buchanan. The site ultimately granted by Earl Cawdor, on which church and manse were built, is on a piece of boggy land a mile east of Cawdor village.
Simon Fraser M’Lauchlan, 1843-1881
John Macpherson, 1876-1884
John George M’Neil, 1885 — [Vol.1 says he was translated to Cawdor in 1880.]
The adherents of the Free Church in the parish of Croy at first worshipped at Cawdor; and a proposal to divide their parish between Cawdor and Petty was seriously considered. This was departed from; as was also a plan for building a wooden church on a site for which the proprietor of Cantray would grant only a short lease. At length, in 1851, a suitable site was secured. The church was erected in1852, and the manse in 1856. The charge was sanctioned by the Assembly in 1854, and in 1856 a minister was settled.
Adam G. M’Leod, 1856-1892
Malcolm M’Leod, 1893-1895
Angus MacKenzie, M.A., 1896 — .
Anticipating the Disruption, arrangements were made to provide a new place of worship in Nairn. The church was completed, and those who adhered to the Free Church worshipped in it the first Sabbath after the Disruption, A minister was settled in November 1843. With the growth of the congregation ampler accommodation was required, and a larger church was erected in 1882. Gaelic services were held regularly till 1895.
Alexander Mackenzie, D.D., 1843-1863
M. Macdonald, D.D., 1864-1875
Alexander Lee, M.A., 1878-1894
John Martin, 1895 — [Vol.1 and Dundee – St. Paul’s say he was translated from here in 1900.]
The minister ofAvoch did not “come out” in 1843. The work of ministering to the adherents of the Free Church in the parish was shared for a time by the ministers of the Presbytery. In 1846 a church was erected. The Assembly sanctioned the charge in 1850, and a minister was settled in 1851. In 1872 a new church was built. The manse was erected in 1863. The people of this fishing village nearly all belong to the Congregational Church. The Free Church drew its members mainly from the surrounding district, in which the population tended to decrease.
1855, 220 (including adherents);
G. A. Chisholm, 1851-1876
John M’Kerchar, 1862-1897
D. F. M’Leod, 1897 — .
Alexander Stewart, minister of Cromarty, and practically all his congregation, “came out” in 1843. They were joined by adherents of the Free Church from the Gaelic chapel in Cromarty, for whose behoof Gaelic services were held in the evenings. The Gaelic and English sections were formally united under Mr. M’Eachran, who could preach in both Gaelic and English. The manse was built during the ministry of Mr. Elder. The memorial to Hugh Miller stands outside the church.
Alexander Stewart, 1843-1847
David Wilkie, 1848-1850
D. S. M’Eachran, 1851-1868
J. R. Elder, 1869-1882
John Mackay, M.A., 1883-1895
A. J. M’Nicol, B.D., 1896 — .
The minister and congregation of Fortrose quoad sacra church “came out” in 1843. They continued to use the church, until interdicted in April 1844. A church was built in 1845. A new church was erected and opened in 1898. A house was bought for a manse in 1851. This was sold, and a manse erected in 1883.
Simon Fraser, M.A., 1843-1867
Angus Brown, 1868-1873 [Vol.1 says he became senior minister 1874 and died 1884.]
Charles Falconer, 1874 — .
Donald Kennedy, minister of Killearnan, and nearly all his people, “came out” in 1843. A large double-roofed church was forthwith erected. It was replaced in the early “sixties” by a substantial building, seated for over 700. A commodious manse was built, and also school buildings, which later were used for district services. The rural population greatly declined from 1843 onwards.
Donald Kennedy, 1843-1871
Neil Gillies, 1872 — .
The minister and congregation of Knockbain (large, although the membership was only 83) “came out” in 1843. No site in the parish could be obtained, so church and manse were built in the neighbouring parish of Killearnan. The congregation split into two nearly equal parts, over the building of a new church (1886) and manse (1888) at Munlochy. The part remaining in the original church became the congregation of Knockbain, West. Emigration and migration to the larger towns greatly decreased the population.
1855, 900 (including adherents)
John M’Rae, 1839-1849 [He began his Free Church ministry there in 1843.]
Farquhar M’Rae, 1853-1883 [Vol.1 says he died 1882.]
James M’Leod, 1879 — .
This congregation was formed of those who remained in the old church when the new church was built at Munlochy. The minister and most of the congregation remained outside the Union in 1900.
1890, 357 (including adherents);
1900, figures not available.
Finlay M’Rae, 1890 — .
Donald Sage, minister of Resolis, and most of his people, “came out” in 1843. At first they worshipped in an old store on the seashore. Church and manse were built on the only site obtainable, in the extreme east of the parish. In 1865 a new church and manse were erected on a more convenient site. The minister and many of the congregation remained outside the Union in 1900.
Donald Sage, M.A., 1843-1869
James MacLachlan, 1868-1877 [He only became senior minister this year according to Vol.1]
John M’Iver, 1879 — .
The minister, and a large part of the congregation of Alness, “ came out “ in 1843. Sites for church and manse were given in perpetuity, at a nominal rent, by General Munro of Teaninich. The church was built in 1843, and renovated in 1893. The manse, also built in 1843, was later improved by introduction of modern conveniences. A school was provided, which afterwards was sold, and with the proceeds a hall in the village was acquired. The congregation suffered heavily through young people leaving the parish.
Alexander Flyter, M.A., 1843-1866
A. R. Munro, M.A., 1858 —
John Ross, M.A., 1899 — .
The parish minister did not “come out” in 1843, but the great majority of the people adhered to the Free Church. At first they worshipped in the open air. Church and manse were built in Castle Street, and a school in High Street. A new church was erected in High Street in 1870. A small section of the people became Free Presbyterians in 1892. Almost all the Gaelic section of the congregation remained outside the Union in 1900.
John Kennedy, D.D., 1844-1884
Murdoch Macaskill, 1884 — .
The minister of Fodderty “came out” at the Disruption; the minister of Contin did not, but the bulk of his congregation united with that of Fodderty under Mr. Noble, as Contin and Fodderty Free Church congregation. A site was granted on the Seaforth estate, at the point where the parishes of Contin, Fodderty, and Urray meet, convenient for the combined congregation, and here church and manse were erected. The manse was enlarged in Mr. Ross’s time, and in 1861 the church was replaced by a more modern structure. A schoolhouse was attached to the original church. The Fodderty section of the congregation was disjoined in 1889, on the erection of a new charge at Strathpeffer.
1855, 700 (including adherents); 1900, 79.
John Noble, M.A., 1843-1846
John Ross, 1849-1865
W. S. Macdougall, 1866-1892
Roderick Cameron, M.A., 1892 — .
The people as a body “came out” at the Disruption, leaving the minister behind them. A preaching station was constituted in September 1843. A church was built at Balblain. The manse was erected in 1849 on the Chisholm estate, every site in the parish being refused. The church at Beauly was built in 1879. Because of the Declaratory Act, about a hundred adherents left the congregation, to form the Free Presbyterian Church.
A. D. Mackenzie, 1844-1894
John R. M’Rae, 1890 — .
Duncan Campbell, minister of the parish, with almost his entire congregation, “came out” at the Disruption. Church and manse were erected.
Duncan Campbell, 1843-1873
Dugald Matheson, 1874-1882
Murdoch MacQueen, 1884 — .
George M’Leod, minister of the parish, and the main body of his congregation, “came out” in 1843. Church and manse were built on a site obtained from Mrs. Stewart Mackenzie of Seaforth, who afterwards gifted the land to the church.
George M’Leod, 1843-1844
D. R. Munro, 1844-1873
C. G. Mackay, 1874-1883
R. Mackenzie, M.A., 1884 — .
The minister of Strathconan Parliamentary Church “came out” in 1843. The charge was maintained as a preaching station until in 1873 it was sanctioned as part of the united charge of Strathconan and Strathgarve. When separated the following year from Strathgarve, it retained its full status. In 1875 Mr. Arthur Balfour, late Prime Minister, who was proprietor of Strathconan, built the manse, and in other ways encouraged the congregation. There is no record of when the first church was built; the second was erected in 1892. The population of the district very greatly decreased.
D. Macfarlane, 1876-1879
A. Sutherland, 1880-1898
W. D. A. Mackenzie, 1899 — .
The minister of Kinlochluichart Parliamentary Church “came out” in 1843. The charge was maintained as a preaching station until in 1873 it was sanctioned as part of the united charge of Strathconan and Strathgarve. The following year it was separated, and resumed its status as a station. The Assembly sanctioned the charge in 1877. The original meeting-house was erected about 1843. One end was partitioned off and used as a school. The new church was built in 1899.
1881, 240 (including adherents);
[Alexander Anderson, 1843-1844-see Vol.1]
Nicol Nicolson, 1879 — .
The work among the growing numbers of summer visitors in Strathpeffer so increased that by 1868 the minister of Contin and Fodderty was no longer able to overtake it without assistance. H. M. Matheson of Elsick had already built a mission hall in the village. In 1887 a church was erected. In 1889 the Fodderty portion of Contin and Fodderty congregation was disjoined and transferred to Strathpeffer, which was then sanctioned as a Gaelic and English charge. The first minister was settled in 1896. The manse was built in 1898.
1891, 362 (including adherents);
James Johnstone, 1896 — .
Dr. Macdonald, “the Apostle of the North,” minister of Urquhart, “came out” in 1843, and carried with him a large congregation. For a time Dr. Macdonald and his people worshipped in the open air, at a spot near the Ferintosh Burn. A satisfactory site having been secured, church and manse were erected without delay.
1855, 1200 (including adherents);
John Macdonald, D.D., 1843-1849
Malcolm Macgregor, 1850-1888
Angus Galbraith, 1890-1893
Donald Munro, 1894 — .
James Macdonald, minister of Urray, “came out” in 1843, with a large congregation. A church was erected in 1844. A new church was built in 1861, which served a very wide district.
James Macdonald, 1843-1882
Archibald Beaton, 1880 — .
Dr. Gustavus Aird, minister of the Parliamentary Church of Croick, “came out” at the Disruption. In August 1843 he was translated to Creich. Occasional services were held until 1871, when Croick was recognised as a preaching station. A church was built in 1881. It was due to Dr. Aird’s exertions that a manse was built and an endowment provided. The charge was sanctioned by the Assembly in 1895.
1896, 110 (including adherents);
Gustavus Aird, D.D., 1843
Neil MacKay, M.A., 1895 — .
Donald Gordon, minister of the parish, and his congregation, “came out” at the Disruption. A new church had been built by the heritors in 1842, and they handed over the old building to the Free Church. It was repaired in 1851. It is one of the oldest churches in the north of Scotland, having been built in 1743. The manse was erected in 1844. The population seriously decreased.
1855, 400 (including adherents);
Donald Gordon, M.A., 1843-1847
John Gordon, 1850-1864
Daniel M. Forbes, 1866-1900.
The elders of the parish adhered to the Free Church at the Disruption. A congregation was formed, and a minister settled in December 1843. A satisfactory site having been secured, the church was erected in 1844. The manse was provided some years later. A movement for the erection of a new church was begun in 1896. The building was completed and opened in 1897. The manse was renovated in 1898-99.
John Macdonald, 1843-1880
John Blacklock, 1881-1885
Archibald M’Gillivray, 1887-1889
Lewis Macpherson, 1890 — .
Prior to 1861 there was only one Free Church in the parish of Rosskeen, situated over two miles from Invergordon. A church in the town was felt to be a necessity. A movement was started by the townsmen, the outcome of which was the building of the church. It was opened in October 1861. In that year the charge was sanctioned. The manse was erected in 1876. The population of town and parish steadily decreased.
1866, 500 (including adherents);
Colin Sinclair, 1862 —
Andrew Douglas, 1900 — .
Charles Ross Matheson, minister of the parish, and his congregation, “came out” in 1843. A church and manse were speedily erected. The church having become dangerous, a new one was built, and opened in 1876.
1859, 600 (including adherents);
C. R. Matheson, M.A., 1843-1866
D. C. Macdonald, M.A., 1863 — .
Hector Allan, minister of the parish, and his congregation, adhered to the Free Church at the Disruption. They worshipped in a wooden shed erected near the parish church. About 1849 a church was built at Gledfield, and a manse was erected at Lower Gledfield.
1859, 420 (including adherents);
Hector Allan, M.A., 1843-1854 [Vol.1 says he died 1853.]
John M’Callum, 1856 — .
Hugh M’Leod, minister of the parish, and his congregation, “came out” in 1843. A church was built in 1844, and a manse in 1855.
1855, 290(including adherents);
Hugh M’Leod, D.D., 1843-1850
Murdoch Macdonald, 1853-1892
J. F. Mackintosh, 1890-1895
Neil MacLeod, 1896 — .
The minister and the whole congregation “came out” in 1843. The church was built in 1844, and renovated in 1880, when a hall was added. The manse was erected in 1849. Hugh Miller and John Swanson, second minister of Nigg, were friends from boyhood. The Cruise of the Betsy was written in Mr. Swanson’s study, the Betsy being the yacht used for ministerial visiting. The pulpit seat was Miller’s study chair. The population very greatly decreased.
1853, 267 (including adherents);
John Macalister, 1843-1844
John Swanson, 1846-1874 [Vol.1 says he was translated 1847.]
William Fraser, M.A., 1874-1884
John Mackinnon, 1884-1888
Evan Grant, 1889 — [Under Govan – St. Columba’s it says an Evan Grant was settled there in 1899. The only known one of that name is this one, so perhaps he was translated in that year.]
David Carment, minister of Rosskeen, and all his congregation, adhered to the Free Church in 1843. Church and manse were erected; but no information as to dates is now available.
1855, 1400 (including adherents);
David Carment, M.A., 1843-1856
J. H. Fraser, M.A., 1853-1884
John Ross, 1885 — .
Dr. C. C. Mackintosh, minister of the parish, with his congregation and practically the entire population, adhered to the Free Church at the Disruption. Within a few weeks a temporary wooden church was erected, the opening of which was attended by the provost and magistrates. A few years later a church of the ordinary Disruption type was erected, with accommodation for 1500. This church, which was always full, served its purpose until, about 1891, its place was taken by a new and handsome building. A four years’ vacancy, after the translation of Dr. Mackintosh to Dunoon, did not seriously affect the congregation.
1885, 1100 (including adherents);
Charles Calder Mackintosh, D.D., 1843-1854
Thomas Grant, 1858 — .
The minister and nearly all the congregation adhered to the Free Church in 1843. Church and manse were completed in 1845. A new church was built in 1893. This was a very large congregation, but it suffered heavily through rural depopulation and failure of the fishing industry.
1855, 900 (including adherents);
David Campbell, 1843-1855
Alexander Urquhart, 1856-1865
Donald Murray, 1866-1899
Dugald Matheson, 1887-1900.