PAROCHIAL SCHOOLS – QUERIES
CIRCULATED IN 1838
BY ORDER OF THE SELECT COMMITTEE
OF THE HOUSE OF COMMONS
ON EDUCATION IN SCOTLAND
1. When was the school established?
2. Is there any private endowment?
3. What has been the average number of scholars – in 1836? in 1837?
4. Are there any boarders and how many?
5. What number of rooms in the teacher’s house?
6. Do children attend the school without reference to the religious persuasion of their parents?
7. Between what periods of age do children usually attend the school?
8. What is the average period of the continuance of their attendance?
9. Is a Sunday School or class taught?
10. Is a playground attached to the school?
System of Administration
11. Is the school periodically inspected and by whom?
12. Are the scholars periodically examined and by whom?
13. What number of teachers?
14. What is the qualification required by the teacher?
15, Where was the present teacher educated?
16, When was he appointed?
17. Has he any other occupation or employment?
18. What is his salary?
19. What are the rates of school fees?
20. Is there any annual report on the state of the school made or published?
System of instruction
21. What is the general system of instruction pursued?
22. What books are used?
23. Is singing taught?
24. Is drawing taught?
25. What are the hours of attendance in school?
26. What are the periods and duration of the vacation?
27. What is the system of instruction pursued?
28. Are the scholars taught in classes?
29. Are they taught separately?
30. Are monitors employed?
31. Is instruction afforded in gardening, agriculture or any mechanical occupation?
32. What rewards are held out?
33. What mode of punishment is adopted?